Preparing For A Storm: Apartment Style
There is a common misconception that large storms don’t have as much of an effect on big cities and that a building as large as an apartment complex is too big to have any real damage. While this might seem easy to believe there are actually a number of storms that hit Charlotte, NC, each year.
We have compiled a few tips on how to prepare for a storm from the safety of your apartment.
- Keep canned and pantry-safe food and drinks on hand.
- Have flashlights and extra batteries ready.
- Make sure you have a first aid kit with bandages, pain relievers, and other essentials that are up to date.
- Keep in touch with loved ones, and have an emergency contact set.
- Pay attention to relatives with special needs, small children and pets.
- Find out what emergency plans your community has in place and what the notification system is for emergencies.
- Store all important documents such as insurance policies, medical records, bank account numbers and social security cards in a fire and water proof box.
- We also recommend having cash, a checkbook and credit cards readily available.
An apartment building is only as safe as its construction, so a strong storm can cause damage. It is important to have a plan to head to the safest room in your apartment. The safest room is an interior room on the lowest floor possible. We also recommend staying away from the windows as there is a risk of broken glass from severe winds.