Handling Grease Fires
When cooking in your home or business in Charlotte, NC, there is always a chance of a grease fire. If a grease fire does start it is important to know how to extinguish the blaze and prevent serious damage to your home.
- Never move the pan or pot where the fire originated from. Moving the source of the fire can cause the fire to spread.
- The first step should be to turn off the stove and move away from the fire.
- If the fire is small enough to get close, cover the pot or pan with a lid. This is the most effective way to snuff out the fire as it removes the source of oxygen.
- Leave the lid until the pan has cooled completely to avoid the fire starting again.
- Never throw water on a grease fire. This will cause the fire to spread quickly and can cause severe burns.
- Call 911 immediately to come and contain the fire. Even if you think you have the fire under control there is always a risk of the fire spreading very quickly.
If you experience a grease fire, there will likely be damage to the surrounding area and contents.
Once the fire is safely out and your property is cleared by the fire department, make sure to call SERVPRO of South Mecklenburg County to get your kitchen looking "Like it never even happened."