When to Use Your Fire Extinguisher
Fire extinguishers can save lives and stop fires before significant damage occurs in your Charlotte, NC, home. So when should you use that fire extinguisher? Before you use that fire extinguisher you need to answer yes to these questions:
- Have I alerted everyone in the building that there is a fire?
- Has the fire department been contacted?
- Can I physically use a fire extinguisher?
- Is the fire small and contained (like a pan or trashcan)?
- Am I safe from smoke?
- Is there a clear escape route?
If you aren’t sure about whether it’s safe to use a fire extinguisher, and for situations where you cannot answer yes to all of the above questions, alert others, leave the building and call 911.
For more fire extinguisher safety visit the FEMA website.