Fire Damage Emergency Tips
What you can do until help arrives
Jim and Annemarie Shuman are native North Carolinians. They love Charlotte and especially the South Mecklenburg County area. They believe they are here for one reason- to serve their South Mecklenburg county friends in need. They wanted to own a SERVPRO franchise in order to provide the best level of service, state of the art equipment, and specifically and intentionally trained technicians to ensure they give their clients service that is second to none. When you have a fire loss, they know that it feels like your world is suddenly turned upside down. You may not know what steps to take or even how to begin to put your life and property back together. Jim, Annemarie, and their team are here to walk you through it- step by step- until it is literally "Like it never even happened."
Have Smoke or Fire Damage? Call (704) 840-6112
What To Do After A Fire
- Limit movement in the home to prevent soot particles from being embedded into upholstery and carpets.
- Keep hands clean so as not to further soil upholstery, walls and woodwork.
- Place clean towels or old linens on rugs, upholstery and carpet traffic areas.
- If electricity is off, empty freezer and refrigerator and prop doors open.
- Clean and protect chrome with light coating of petroleum jelly or oil.
- Wash houseplants on both sides of leaves.
- Change HVAC filter.
- Tape double layers of cheesecloth over air registers.
What NOT To Do After A Fire
- Don't attempt to wash any walls or painted surfaces or shampoo carpet or upholstery without contacting us.
- Don't attempt to clean any electrical appliances that may have been close to fire, heat or water without consulting an authorized repair service.
- Don't use any canned or packaged food or beverages that may have been stored near the fire, heat or water.
- Don't turn on ceiling fixtures if ceiling is wet. The wiring may be damaged.
- Don't send garments to an ordinary dry cleaner. Improper cleaning may set smoke odor.